Pages

October 10, 2012

Intro to Cakes

I have now started my third class, Intro to Cakes. I am really excited about this class because I love decorating cakes. So pretty much in this class one day we bake the cakes and icings and then the next day we decorate those cakes. So for example, yesterday was my first day of class and we made carrot cake, German chocolate cake, the filling for the German chocolate cake, and the icings. And then today we decorated and filled both cakes. The first cake we decorated was the German chocolate cake. You, of course, have to start off by making the top of the cake level. In my opinion, I just think this is a waste of cake but on the other hand I just eat the extra during class so I'm okay with it. You then cut it in half, which is really hard when just using a knife. When you have it cut, you take one half and put half of the filling on top and then put the other half of cake on top making a sandwich. Once you have this done, you can ice the cake and put a shell border on top. The very last step you do is put the filling on top, this is so that is looks nicer and has a nice edge on it. This is my final cake that I made in class today. It was sooo delicious!!!
  

The other cake we made was carrot cake. You  start off the same way and level it off. Then apply icing all over the cake and also put a shell border on the top. The reason why we don't pipe shell borders on the bottom is because they don't stick well to the cake. This means that when you serve the cake this border is often left on the platter because it fell off which is just a bad look for the cakes. For carrot cake we normally put pecans on the sides for decoration and they taste great with the cake. The other decoration that we used was piped carrots on top. Well we wanted to make sure that every person got a carrot so we had to portion the cakes first. This is really hard when using a knife because you have to make sure that each piece is exactly the same size. But after we got that done, we piped a carrot on each piece. To the right is the cake that I made today. I really liked making these cakes and they taste really good too.

No comments:

Post a Comment